Monday, April 9, 2012

Mastermyr Chest - The Final Chapter


Can you spell P-R-O-C-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-I-O-N ???  I can not only spell it, I can execute it with aplomb.  Do you realize I have had the Mastermyr chest done for over a year and I haven't finished blogging it??  Shameful.  Actually I documented it on the Woodnet Forum - and it was deleted as it was over a year old.  Rats.  Anyway, here is the Cole's notes version, as I have probably forgotten most of it.

The Lid
The lid was my favorite part of this build, from the hinges, to the cut nails, to the hollowed underbelly.  Yep, the original had a hollowed out lid.  Those Vikings did it with an adze, or so I'm told.  Not having an adze, I used a carving gouge.  This is 8/4 quarter sawn white oak, three pieces glued together.  I drew the line freehand, carved a groove down the center to the correct depth, then worked between the line and the groove.  Came out nice.


After hollowing out the underside, it was time to go to work on the curved top, which is also a nice feature.  I used my Bailey No. 7 and took some pretty big bites at first.  The scrub plane and jack with a cambered blade left a really rough surface (I'm talking chunks), so I used the #7, then moved to the LV LA BU Jack.


Final product looked good, but it was hard-earned.


About ten piles of shavings like this one, and several buckets of sweat, will get you one Mastermyr chest lid.


Dry fitting the through-tenons.  I was going to ad handles, but this is not a very large chest.  So I made the tenons just a hair longer, and it gives you something to grab when you pick it up.


Checking that a full size panel saw will fit - just right!


Starting the rabbet at the bottom of the front and back panels.  After it was established, I moved to the bigger shoulder plane and picked up the pace.




Finished rabbet.  You can see from the second pic that it is angled to better mesh with the floor of the chest.



Glue-up!!  Always sweat these a little, but this one turned out fine.  The front and back panels are pinned with oak dowels at either end.


Squaring up the ends after glue-up.



Getting that just-right fit with the lid....


Loading 'er up with tools for the money shot.  This little chest will hold a fair amount of stuff, but packing it is a challenge.  The slanted front and back make it tough to pack from a practical standpoint.  I have not yet made any tool trays for it.


And the final, finished chest in all it's glory.......kinda hate to put tools in it now!  It has about 6 coats of danish oil rubbed in with steel wool, followed by wax.  




And in the end, the little toolbox led a happy life, hauling tools back and forth......er, wait a minute!!  What's going on here?  What's it doing in that cushy location inside the house?  Well, truth be told, it looked so good, the wife said we could display it in the house.  So it'll be here for a while, until duty calls.



No comments:

Post a Comment